20 June 2016

Ars Antiquua, Stipes Novus - (Old Art, New Post)


As I was purging through my closet yesterday, (besides a colony of spiders), I found a painting that I had created during one of my years of junior high. Prior to the assignment of this painting, my class and I had been studying African American artists, including painters, writers, sculptors, and weavers. As we progressed through this unit, we also read the poem: "The Creation", composed by James Weldon Johnson, and cited from The Book of American Negro Poetry. After being read this poem, we were distributed copies of this poem and were asked to find a passage that we felt that we could easily portray in a painting. After the first reading aloud, I knew exactly which area I would like to depict. 

(Although I did not include the complete poem, a link is posted above. However, I did include the passage of the poem that I chose to portray):

And He set that sun a-blazing in the heavens.
And the light that was left from making the sun
God gathered it up in a shining ball

Inspired by this passage, this is the painting that I created a few years ago (and found yesterday):
I hope you enjoyed this post, and I look forward to sharing new (and old) art and writing that I may find!

0 comments:

Post a Comment